Re: [xep-support] Landscape tables at end of document?

From: G. Ken Holman (gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 06:29:44 PST

    At 2004-01-06 08:56 -0500, Clary, Brian D. wrote:
    >In our publications, we sometimes append tables to the end of the document,
    >and if the table width is greater than portrait width, we landscape orient
    >those particular pages.

    If you can tell from the markup that you need a table to be in landscape
    orientation, and you don't need to somehow measure the formatted table to
    make up your mind, then check out the free PSMI formatting semantic for
    XSL-FO on our web site. It is found in the "Free Resources" area of our
    web site noted below.

    In fact, a table in landscape orientation is the exemplar that I use to
    document the use of the PSMI.

    >I've tried to duplicate this with XSL-FO; first
    >with a landscape page master, but I haven't found out how (if at all) to
    >conditionally use this page master.

    Yes, XSL-FO 1.0 requires you to preset your page geometry sequencing and
    you can't modify it "on the fly" or engage a different page master dynamically.

    >Second, I tried a <fo:block-container>
    >landscape oriented around the table. This did indeed orient the table
    >landscape within the page, but if the table overflowed the page, it did not
    >continue on a new page.

    Yes again, this is illustrated in my documentation of PSMI as I, too, tried
    this approach to the formatting requirement.

    >Any ideas on how I might be able to do this?

    The PSMI is a formatting semantic for those tables at the top of the flow
    (child of <fo:flow>) that need to be presented in an arbitrary page
    geometry in the middle of a sequence of other page geometries. It is a
    two-step methodology: run your own stylesheet that produces a mixture of
    XSL-FO+PSMI output, and then run the provided PSMI XSLT stylesheet to read
    XSL-FO+PSMI to create pure XSL-FO that can then be formatted. Using the
    PSMI you indicate for the table the specific page geometry that you need,
    and the PSMI stylesheet breaks up the given page sequence into as many page
    sequences as is needed for the desired presentation.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    North America (Washington, DC): 3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-02-09
    Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training