[xep-support] Logical pagination and Ghostscript

From: David Cramer <david@thingbag.net>
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 09:49:23 PST

If I use xep 4.x to generate a pdf or generate a ps file and then
convert it to a pdf with distiller, then the pdf will use "logical
pagination", i.e. if the front matter is numbered i-v, then the pdf's
pagination will reflect that, showing "i (i of 10)" in the pdf's status
bar. That's exactly what I want. However, if I generate a postscript
file from xep and instead use ghostscript (ps2pdf, version 8.53) to
convert it to a pdf, there is no logical pagination :-(

Does anybody know if there's a setting in Ghostscript or some other way
I can get it to generate pdfs that preserve xep's logical pagination?

Thanks,
David